Saturday, March 14, 2009

OK, All You Rude People Out There, Pay Attention: Or The Most Important Socio-Economic & Political Movement of the Century

Today I was walking on the sidewalk that goes through the park. A group of 9 and 10 year old boys, in their jogging suits and baseball caps, were running toward me. It looked as though they were warming up for a baseball game. There was no room for them to pass on the narrow sidewalk, so I stepped aside. The boys proceeded to ALL tip their baseball caps to me and say "arrigato," which means, thank you. When was the last time anyone "tipped" their hat to me....Uh...never. Let me remind my readers that there was NO adult there to tell them to be polite...

When I moved to Tokyo, I did not expect a "peaceful" lifestyle. I expected horns honking, music booming, people using expletives in other languages. Instead, I have a very "peaceful" existence. When I come home to my little abode, the lobby and elebator (that's Japanese for elevator)are filled with wonderfully soothing music. There is generally no eye contact on the sidewalks; but, if I have occasion to ask someone a question, folks go out of their way to help. I have had people miss their train while trying to get me to my train. I have often been bumped by these very crazy looking Japanese guys...weird clothes combinations and hair sticking up everywhere, as only the great Japanese guy hair can. It is always surprising when these fellows look at me, bow and say, sorry.

A lot of very smart people have all sorts of theories about how to reform society and politics? My answer is MANNERS. Do you want to save crumbling marriages and families? The answer is MANNERS. Do you want to improve classrooms and wipe out gang behavior? MANNERS....Do you want the Democrats and Republicans in the Congress and Senate to get something accomplished? MANNERS !!!!!

There are things the Japanese could learn from us but this is one thing we need to learn from them. Manners are the oil that makes human interaction productive and pleasant. So, to put that in plain English, you @$#!X*<#! get some manners!

COMMENTS:

Anonymous said...
Manners huh? Tell that to the poor Horn Frog in the Horn Frog juice bottle!!

-Texas Horn Frog hugger

March 16, 2009 9:26 PM


laur0902 said...
I REALLY,REALLY like your posting with regard to manners...
It seems so simple - too good to be true, and yet....
Thanks!!

March 30, 2009 2:11 PM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Manners huh? Tell that to the poor Horn Frog in the Horn Frog juice bottle!!

-Texas Horn Frog hugger

Unknown said...

I REALLY,REALLY like your posting with regard to manners...
It seems so simple - too good to be true, and yet....
Thanks!!