Thursday, October 4, 2007

Salt - The Newest Trend in Seasoning

Decided to head over to Roppongi on Sunday and do some exploring. Roppongi is where all the Ex-Patriots and Westerners hang out. It is a very nice part of town and many of the Embassies are located in the surrounding area. They also have some great international grocery stores - the international versions of Whole Foods.

I had a very short shopping list. In fact, only one item. I needed Salt. How hard could this be???? Very hard. There were 60 different types of salt - believe me, I counted them all. There was Jurassic Salt, Sicilain Salt, Italian Salt, French Salt, Alpen Salz, Moon Salt, Bonin Salt, Sel Marin de Guerand, Liquid Salt Water, Black Salt, Green Tea Salt, Homemade Pinkish Salt, Pahar Rock Salt, Himalayan Salt, and on and on. I chose Pahar Rock Salt because it was such a pretty pink color with cute black speckles. It's probably best that I don't know what the cute black speckles are....

After the "Salt Escapade," I had to re-energize with some food tasting. The problem with food tasting in a store like this is that there is no way to politely choke and spit the food out. The Japanese have NO trash cans anywhere. It's either down the throat or into your purse. You cannot believe the things that I swallowed with a smile.

No comments: