Saturday, September 1, 2007

"Little Bit Bad Boy"

Learning a foreign language can be a tedious and lengthy task - and unfortunately, the language books never have the really helpful phrases. While I am laboring over "Nice to meet you," Greg, ever the pragmatist, has leapt ahead to the important stuff - like "choi wa ru." This is apparently a phrase taken from a crazy and popular TV show. It means "little bit bad boy." "Now really," I said to myself, "when can that phrase be of much help?" Well.....

Greg has become very popular at the hotel snack shop....when he goes in to buy beer and candy, he smiles at the check-out girls and says "Choi wa ru." They love him!!!

Alright, but when will I ever use that phrase? Well ......

A few days later, I am having a wild cab ride to Jusco. Suddenly the driver slams on the brakes and begins to apologize..."Sorry, policeman there." With my new found language skills I smartly retort...."Choi wa ru - Little Bit Bad Boy!" The cab driver is still laughing hysterically when he drops me off 10 minutes later....hmmmm, I wonder what I really said!?

No comments: